Privacy and Security
At Mutual of America, providing for your security is one of our highest priorities. The security of your personal information is as important to us as your financial security. Throughout the history of our Company, maintaining privacy protection for our customers has been a priority.
The most important thing you should know is that Mutual of America will not share your personal information with anyone, except as permitted by law, and that we will not sell your personal information.
Mutual of America seeks to provide the best and most efficient products and services to meet your needs. As a result, there will continually be changes in technology that we will implement to benefit you as our customer. However, you need to know that we are safeguarding your personal information, however we receive it, or by whatever means you use to contact us, whether you are using our 800-line, our website, in writing, or speaking with a representative in our Home Office or one of our Regional Offices.
Mutual of America remains committed to the principles that guide us: loyalty to our customers and our employees, integrity in all we say and do, and working together to maintain our customers' trust.
Privacy and Web Security Policy
- We collect and use information about you in order to provide you with insurance, annuity, and pension products and services.
- We obtain most of this information directly from you, primarily from the applications you complete when you apply for our products or services and from your transactions with us. If we need additional information, we may obtain it from other parties, including employers, adult family members, other insurers, consumer reporting agencies and medical care providers.
- We also collect information from your computer browser, such as browser type, Internet protocol address, pages visited and average time spent on our websites. This information may be used to alert you to software compatibility issues, or it may be analyzed so that we may improve the quality and functionality of our operations.
- To guard your personal information, we maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with federal and state laws and regulations.
- All of our employees are required to protect the confidentiality of our customers' personal information, and they may not access that information unless there is a legitimate business reason for doing so, such as responding to a customer request.
- Our strict policies for protecting personal information apply to current and former customers.
- We will not sell your personal information to anyone.
- We will not disclose your personal information to anyone, including our affiliates and subsidiaries, for marketing purposes.
- We will not disclose your personal information to anyone, including our affiliates and subsidiaries, except as permitted by law. For example, we may disclose your personal information to our affiliates, subsidiaries and any other entities that provide services to us so that we can effect, maintain or administer your business and respond to your questions or requests.
Security on Our website
- Our website uses some of the most reliable forms of security measures available to protect your information from unauthorized access, including firewall barriers, 256-bit data encryption and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol.
- Use your Customer ID or User ID, along with your password, to access your account information and initiate online and mobile transactions.
- To prevent unauthorized access to your Mutual of America account via your computer or smartphone, secure sessions through our website are automatically terminated after 15 minutes of inactivity (20 minutes during a financial transaction session). In order to continue after this point, you must log in again.
Social Security Number Protection
- We protect all Social Security Numbers that we collect in the course of business.
- We have procedures to limit access to your Social Security Number except where access may be required to provide products or services to you.
- The confidentiality of Social Security Numbers is protected by maintaining physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to prevent unauthorized access to Social Security Numbers.
- Social Security Numbers are not disclosed to third parties except where required or permitted by law.
- Mutualofamerica.com offers customized features that require our use of "Cookies," which are small pieces of information that we ask your browser to store. This helps ensure that any information we send to you is only being received by you.
- For Hotline Plus users, cookies are also used to determine whether a user is visiting Hotline Plus for the first time so that a Welcoming Screen can be generated.
- Mutual of America's online calculators are provided for your information only. We do not track, retain or use any of the data input into the calculators, nor is the data in any way linked to you as an individual.
- Various pages within our website provide links to other sites of interest. We are providing these links only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply our endorsement of the linked site. These third-party linked sites are not under our control and therefore we are not responsible for the contents of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site.
- Be aware that these third-party sites may collect information about you. We are not responsible for the actions of these third parties and we encourage you to review their privacy policies to learn what type of personal information, if any, they collect.
- From time to time, we will post a survey on our website and request that you complete it. If you do respond to our survey, your responses as well as identifying information about you will be captured. Identifying information will only be used for our own statistical and analytical purposes in connection with our operations.
Your Role in Privacy
For your protection, and to protect your account information, you should not share your Security Profile information, as well as your Personal Identification Number (PIN), with anyone. Further, we recommend that you occasionally change your password and User ID, which you can do at any time after logging in to "My Account" on our website. You may also call our 800 Line to request a new PIN be mailed to your address on file via the U.S. Postal Service.
It is important that you not leave your computer unattended while accessing your account information or initiating online transactions. If you become aware of any suspicious activity in your account, please notify us immediately by calling 1-800-468-3785, Monday–Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET.
For More Information
We are providing this Privacy Notice on behalf of Mutual of America Life Insurance Company and its Separate Accounts. By law, we have the right to modify this policy at any time, but if we do change it, we will notify our customers. Under applicable laws and regulations, we are required to send customers our Privacy Notice on an annual basis.